Wikipedia Why is the common knowledge resource still neglected by academics?
Citation: Dariusz Jemielniak Wikipedia Why is the common knowledge resource still neglected by academics?.
Internet Archive Scholar (search for fulltext): Wikipedia Why is the common knowledge resource still neglected by academics?
Wikidata (metadata): Q77308177
Academics are still reluctant to use Wikipedia in their teaching, and don't get credit eg in tenure reviews, for contributing to Wikipedia. Some reasons why:
- Although Wikipedia is high quality relative to professional publications, it has different kinds of errors, eg vandalism, that may diminish its reputatation
- Association with plagiarism, as students often copy from Wikipedia
- Historic bias, based on perception when Wikipedia was new
- Dislike of students citing an encyclopedia
- Animosity for challenging institutional hierarchy of knowledge production and dissemination
Argues contributing to Wikipedia is perfect coursework, and a moral necessity given lack of access by many to free knowledge.