Wikipedia Why is the common knowledge resource still neglected by academics?
Citation: Dariusz Jemielniak Wikipedia Why is the common knowledge resource still neglected by academics?.
Academics are still reluctant to use Wikipedia in their teaching, and don't get credit eg in tenure reviews, for contributing to Wikipedia. Some reasons why:
- Although Wikipedia is high quality relative to professional publications, it has different kinds of errors, eg vandalism, that may diminish its reputatation
- Association with plagiarism, as students often copy from Wikipedia
- Historic bias, based on perception when Wikipedia was new
- Dislike of students citing an encyclopedia
- Animosity for challenging institutional hierarchy of knowledge production and dissemination
Argues contributing to Wikipedia is perfect coursework, and a moral necessity given lack of access by many to free knowledge.